Thursday, January 13, 2011

For What It's Worth

Today I let my iPod chose the tile of my rantings today. For your information it's based off a song by Crystal Bowersox.
I attended the annual Portsmouth Murals Inc., Baseball Banquet last night. The event was sold out with around 600 people in attendance. The event featured former and current baseball players from the area. There are currently two murals dedicated to the local players of the game. One of the murals is dedicated to Branch Rickey and the impact he had on the game. The other is a presentation of different players from the area who have played a role in the long history of the sport. The Branch Ricky Mural will be repainted in the spring.
The featured speaker for this year's event was Tom Browning, a former pitcher with the Cincinnati Reds and is best known for pitching a perfect game against the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1988.
"It's good to be in Portsmouth to see a bunch of guys I have not seen in a long time and see some guys you only see in caravans, old players, teammates and coaches," Browning said.
During his speech Browning spoke about events that occurred during his playing career.
Other persons of note at the banquet included Baseball Writers Association Hall of Famer Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News; Reds Farm Director Terry Reynolds and a host of others.
Also learned this week the superintendent of the high school I attended has announced her retirement. She has been employed with the district for 47 years. That's a long time...and no I was not there when she started with the district....Becky.
Tonight I will be attending Fiddler On the Roof at the Vern Riffe Center For the Arts. It should be exciting, it's such a nice venue to see shows in. I am also being permitted to take photos during the first ten minutes of the show.
This weekend we have a Scioto County Habitat For Humanity training. It should be informative in a number of ways. We are on the crest of some great things we just have to hold on until we get there.
Next weekend is a camp board meeting. I have not been to the camp in a while so hopefully mother nature will be nice so we can have a productive meeting and take care of some business.
Oh, I almost did not mention but also this week I found out I passed my second Temple School class. I will be taking the third class at the end of the month with some friends up north.

That's enough of my rantings.....Thanks for reading.....
-W

1 comment:

  1. Hurray for passing your second class!! And--I hope Fiddler on the Roof was awesome. The baseball player sounds awesome--you get to meet so many cool people! :)

    ReplyDelete