Monday, January 2, 2012

My challenge for the next 30 days

Here is a recent story I wrote that will give you some background.....


Members of Revolution Church in Portsmouth will begin a 30-day fast on Jan. 2 asking God to intervene on the problems of this community.
“We have a free seminary at Revolution, when we were reading through some different texts, we came across a passage in the gospels of Jesus telling his disciples that some demons can only be exorcised through prayer and fasting,” said Matt Rawlings, pastor of Revolution Church. “That led us to talk about the kind of evil that’s beset our community, such as drugs, hunger and prostitution. Fasting is something Jesus prescribed as a way to attack evil.”
Rawlings said the idea for a 30-day fast came from a pastor friend of his.
“He and his church have been fasting and praying for their community for 30 days every January for the past couple years,” Rawlings said.
He said everyone participating will be fasting in different ways and for different reasons.
“I’m fasting from (solid) food. A number of people are fasting from liquids. Some are fasting from things they feel they have an unhealthy connection such as social media. Some will fast from TV and others will fast from whatever they take comfort in, such as junk food, snacks or comfort food,” Rawlings said. “I’m preaching on this topic Sunday and I will tell people this (fasting) isn’t a way for us to manipulate God into doing something. We’re just hoping he (God) takes mercy upon us and releases us (community) from the kind of darkness that has descended upon our hometown.”
Rawlings said he has no expectations from the fast.
“All of us are going to go to God in prayer in hopes that he acts in an extraordinary way,” Rawlings said.
He said others are encouraged to participate in the fast.
For more information about Revolution Church, visit www.therevolutiononline.org.

I have decided to participate in this fast with these fine people.  "Some are fasting from things they feel they have an unhealthy connection." For me that's spending money on needless things that do not carry any or much value. I have a tendency to spend money on a number of things I do not need and could do without....So this month I am (going to try to) only going to spend money on things I need, rather than things I do not.

Today is the first day of the fast. It was a good day I only spent $1.25, it did help that someone else bought my lunch. So things are going well already....I will keep you posted on how things go....

As always thanks for reading....
-W

No comments:

Post a Comment